Recombia Biosciences is a biotechnology company in the San Francisco Bay Area leveraging proprietary gene editing technologies to optimize yeast for applications in health, energy, and production of sustainable materials. We were recently acquired by and are a subsidiary of the Lesaffre Yeast Corporation. Our technologies enable the introduction of genetic modifications with unprecedented precision, efficiency, and throughput. We are seeking a Metabolic Engineering Scientist I to join our team.
Candidates should have a strong background and direct experience in metabolic engineering of yeast central metabolism and have demonstrated track record of successfully introducing and optimizing metabolic pathways into a microbial host organism . Ideal candidates will have specialized experience in development and application of medium- and high-throughput assays for metabolite detection. Successful candidates will work with a small team to design and introduce genetic modifications and implement robust assays to characterize the resulting genetically-modified strains of industrial yeast.
As part of the Recombia team, you will be expected to interact frequently with leadership and work collaboratively with other lab/bench scientists to implement strain engineering and analysis workflows. Salary and equity for this position will be commensurate with experience.
Well qualified candidates will have:
- Extensive experience in standard molecular biology (e.g. PCR, DNA purification, cloning, DNA assembly, DNA sequencing) and analytical chemistry (e.g. HPLC) techniques
- Background in metabolic engineering in microorganisms, especially in core metabolism of yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)
- Demonstrated skill to generate new hypotheses using existing data, scientific literature or models
- Strong communication skills and experience working within a team
- Strong organizational, strategic planning skills, and excellent record keeping
- A good record of maintaining safe practices and work environment
- Skill to mentor junior researchers
Some additional (non-essential) qualifications:
- Industry experience (especially in the areas of industrial fermentation) or postdoctoral training
- Programming and data analysis skills (Python, R, etc)
- Construction and analysis of metabolic models
- Experience with multiplex CRISPR screens
- $95,000 – 125,000
- Commensurate with experience
- Doctorate or Masters
- Brisbane / South San Francisco, CA 94005
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off