Recombia Biosciences in an early-stage startup that is leveraging its proprietary gene editing technologies to optimize yeast for applications in health, energy, and production of sustainable materials. Our technologies enable the introduction of rationally-designed genetic modifications with unprecedented precision, efficiency, and throughput. We are seeking a full-time Research Scientist to join our team. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of an early-stage biotech startup in the San Francisco Bay Area. Candidates must have experience working with yeast (S. cerevisiae) or other microorganisms or fungi, and more specifically in high-throughput assay development. Ideal candidates will have a background in chemical detection, metabolic and genome engineering, industrial fermentation, and some programming skills. Successful candidates will design and implement robust assays to characterize, at high-throughput, genetically-modified strains of industrial yeast for production of different chemicals by fermentation. As part of the Recombia team, you will be expected to interact frequently with leadership and other lab/bench scientists, but also work independently to implement essential assays for strains emerging from Recombia’s genetic engineering pipeline. Salary and equity for this position will be commensurate with experience.
Well qualified candidates will have:
- PhD (or equivalent experience) with experience in yeast biology and standard molecular biology techniques (e.g. PCR, DNA purification, cloning, DNA assembly, DNA sequencing)
- Background in metabolic engineering, synthetic biology, and CRISPR/Cas9 genetic engineering.
- Experience applying or developing high-throughput assays.
- Programming and data analysis skills (Python, R, etc)
- Strong communication skills and experience working with a team
- The ability to work independently
Some Additional (Non-Essential) Qualifications:
- Industry experience (especially experience working at a startup in synthetic biology, strain engineering, or industrial fermentation)
- Postdoctoral training
- DNA sequence analysis
- Microfluidics experience
- FACS/cytometry expertise
- Automation/robotics experience
- Experience developing biosensors
- Experience with CRISPR screens
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: to be commensurate with experience:
Education: Doctorate or Masters (with extensive experience)
Location: 1000 Marina Blvd Brisbane / South San Francisco, CA 94005
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Work Remotely: Some remote work may be acceptable
To Apply: Please use the form below, or send your resume or CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.