Recombia Biosciences is an early-stage synthetic biology startup that is leveraging its proprietary genome engineering technologies to optimize yeast to produce a number of different sustainable products. Our technologies enable the introduction of rationally-designed genomic modifications with unprecedented precision, efficiency, and throughput. Leveraging these technologies we can explore the genomic space of the chassis strain in addition to creating heterologous pathways. Our initial applications of these technologies will involve a research collaboration with a partner company.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a key member of an early-stage biotech startup in the San Francisco Bay Area. Candidates should have experience working with yeast (S. cerevisiae) or other microorganisms. Candidates will be responsible for developing high-throughput assays to select for improved strains. Ideal candidates will have a background in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, metabolic engineering, or microbial fermentation.
Successful candidates will design and implement robust assays to characterize, at high-throughput, genetically-modified strains of industrial yeast for production of different compounds by fermentation. As part of the Recombia team, you will be expected to interact frequently with leadership, outside partners, and other lab/bench scientists, but also work independently to implement essential assays for strains emerging from Recombia’s bioengineering pipeline. Salary and equity for this position will be commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates will have:
· B.S. or M.S. in a related field
· 2-5 years of biochemistry/analytical chemistry/fermentation industry experience
· Background in biochemistry, analytical chemistry, fermentation or chemical engineering
· Experience in analytical detection methods (e.g. HPLC)
· Experience performing biochemical assays
· Experience in microbial fermentation
· Experience in basic microbiological methods (pipetting, cell stocking, cell plating, media prep, …)
Some Additional (Non-Essential) Qualifications:
· Automation/robotics experience
· Experience with bench scale (0.25-5L) microbial bioreactors
· data analysis skills
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 – $85,000.00 per year